Individuals who spend most of the day laying down run the risk of developing ulcers and bedsores. In order to alleviate the risk, it is important to select the best mattress to prevent bedsores. These mattresses are specially designed to distribute pressure in different areas while a person rests. There are five options for the best mattress to prevent bed sores that stand out from the competition based on performance and usability.
5. Alternating Pressure Mattress
Unlike traditional mattresses, this 8-inch air cell mattress works to distribute pressure around the body evenly as you lay. This is the best mattress to prevent bed sores due to its low air loss cells that keep skin and wounds cool and dry. Should any air cell break, it can easily snap out for quick replacement.
|Type: Air cell|
|Cycle time: 10 minutes|
|Styles: 8 inch|
- Back Sleepers: This mattress cycles pressure at different areas.
- Heavy Sleepers: This bed cycles every 10-minutes around the clock.
- Light Sleepers: This bed operates around-the-clock, so your night would be interrupted.
- Co-Sleepers: This is a twin sized mattress so only one person can fit.
4. Bariatric Heavy Duty Alternating Pressure Mattress
This best mattress to prevent bed sores automatically adjusts when a person moves or repositions. The comfort level is adjustable, so the user can find the ideal level for a good rest. The adjustable cycle time allows the user to establish how often they want the pressure adjustment to occur, allowing them to sleep better through the night.
|Type: Air cell|
|Cycle time: 10, 15, 20, or 25 minutes|
|Styles: 10 inches|
|Sizes: Wide Twin|
- Light Sleepers: the extended cycle time allows the user to select how often air cell will adjust.
- Sleepers that move a lot: the bed automatically adjusts to keep you comfortable.
- Small Sleepers: Individuals under 180 LBs would not be comfortable in this bed as they are below recommended weight for the system to work correctly.
- Animal lover Sleepers: this bed is made of air cells, so you may want to avoid sleeping with animals on it.
3. Invacare IPM1080 Softform Premier Mattress
The Invacare mattress is the best mattress to prevent bed sores due to its added foam layer. This bed is extremely comfortable for users and it distributes pressure around different areas of the body in order to prevent concentrated targeting that causes ulcers. This mattress is extremely comfortable to use and comes with an excellent warranty.
|Cycle time: N/A|
|Styles: 6 inches|
|Warranty: 8 years on the foam, 4 years on the cover|
- Bear Sleepers: Individuals that spend most of their day in bed will appreciate the lasting comfort this mattress provides.
- Back Sleepers: This mattress is designed to provide equal comfort across the body.
- Small Sleepers: Smaller individuals may find this mattress too firm.
- Stomach Sleepers: The comfortable foam may cause discomfort in the neck when sleeping on the stomach.
2. Alternating Pressure Mattress (8″) by Vive
The best mattress to prevent bed sores by Vive allows users to achieve the ideal level of softness quicker and easier than ever before. This mattress has air cell technology that prevents bed sores. Users have the freedom to set their own schedules for the cycle time with this mattress, which is extremely convenient.
|Type: Air Cell|
|Cycle time: Adjustable|
|Styles: 8 inches|
|Warranty: 1.5 years|
- Light Sleepers: the ultra-quiet technology allows you to sleep through cycles easier.
- Bedrest Sleepers: This is an excellent option for individuals that have to stay in bed 10+ hours each day.
- Larger Sleepers: this mattress auto-adjust due to pressure from weight. Larger individuals may find the mattress too firm.
- Sleepers who prefer static pressure: Users are unable to lock in static pressure, it will automatically return to alternating pressure after a certain amount of time.
1. Drive Medical Med Air Low Air Loss Mattress
Drive Medical provides one of the best options for mattresses that prevent bed sores in users. This air cell mattress has adjustable softness, so users can find the level of comfort that suits them best. This bed is designed to be used long-term, ensuring your body does not develop any rashes, ulcers, or bed sores. This specially designed mattress allows for static air pressure cycles up to two hours or users can set the bed to manual mode to create their own air cycle schedule.
|Type: Air Cell|
|Cycle time: 10, 15, 20, 25 Minutes|
|Styles: 8 inches|
|Warranty: 1 year|
- Bedbound Sleepers: This is an excellent option for individuals confined to their bed for most of the day.
- Light Sleepers: the pump system is extremely quiet so users can sleep better.
- Side Sleepers: the mattress is flexible, and can move with a hospital-style bed, which may cause discomfort when sleeping on the side.
- Budget-cautious Sleepers: This mattress is quite expensive, so it may not be the best option when on a budget.
Each of these mattresses provides relief for individuals who spend much of their time laying down. These uniquely designed mattresses provide adequate pressure relief and distribution to prevent ulcers and bed sores from happening. Have you or a loved one used one of the options for the best mattress to prevent bed sores listed in this article? Feel free to share your experience here.